Friday, January 26, 2007

Boston Pride 2006

Boston pride is one of the events that I never failed to attend since I moved to Boston in 2003. Perhaps its the first event I ever attend in my whole life where I met with my fellow Queer South Asians and Asians eye to eye. Perhaps its the beginning of my second coming out, to be part of a group of people who share so much about me. We understood each other very well, we didnt explain each and everything we did. Its like an instant family. This year is no different. I always look forward for this day. Its always around my Birthday, so I always get a feeling that I did something different and enjoy my Birthday as well. As a low key person, I dint like to celebrate my birthday, but love to spend it with my friends and family. I am easily embarrassed when someone finds it out. May be its because we never celebrated Birthdays as elaborate as its done in this country. I am feel alive and thankful to add one more year to my age. I am very lucky to be alive given the circumstances and events in my life.

So this year, pride came on my birthday itself. How wonderful that can be? This year I didn't spend too much time working towards organizing the pride with other Asian queer organizations. May be its because I am not part of any of the official boards. May be its for my own good, why not enjoy the fruit of others hard-work.

As usual, MAP for health did a wonderful job in co-ordinating the Asian float along with QAPA and MASALA. Eugene Tan the ever jolly and easy going friend is the key. I am jealous of his easy to go attitude, its something I should learn from him. On the hindsight, he is right. Getting stressed out is not going to help anyone. Its better to stay focused and do the things the way it should be done. Staying focused is what we need when working with queer groups. Did I fail to mention opinions, attitudes and you never do things right of few in the community which really drags everyone down. I have seen that happening again and again, but again its part of life. Everyone has an agenda and we have to live with that. That's part of the charm of our collective I guess.

There were so many of the float building parties this year. I was unable to attend any of them. Finally I managed to attend the last one the day before pride.

When I arrived at our designated location near Copley on the pride day, the weather wasn't that good. It was raining all day and the forecast said its going to rain during the pride. While walking from the T station towards our designated location, I could see that the rain didn't dampen the pride spirits. I saw people in wonderful costumes, friends cheering for each other, hugging, handsome police officers standing on street corners and just scanning the crowd. Its a festive atmosphere at the best. Who said Pride is a corporate sellout? Isn't it an opportunity for us to be who we are in public and have fun? Shame with all the prejudices and reservations against the community. Its our collective responsibility to show our face to the community and let the Right wing know our presence. We do come in different colors, heights, genders and configurations. Accept us for who we are and keep your opinion to yourself, because we dint need it.

Finally after a short walk, I arrived at the destination. First person I ran into was my dear Suriya. Met with Shri, Jacob, Amit, Johnny, Eugene, Mimi, Diana, Partha, Tauheed, Maria and others.. All of them were involved in giving the float final touches. We started the generator and music was on. so is the pride. The rain was coming down heavily at that point. We huddled under Hotel Lonox's foot steps.

Banners cameout, beads, flags and many more. We started decorating ourselves as well. We posed for some pictures. We finally started waking in the pride parade. We followed the float. Some carrying banners braving the winds, some distributing safe sex packets MAP put together, some distributing beads. Some were greedy to keep the beads for themselves :), I dont blame them, it was adding color to the festivities.

At the beginning of the parade, I was covering my head with my jacket hood. At some point, I took it off. I let the rain drops drench myself. Everydrop of the rain, felt liberating, made me sensual, made me aware of the day, made me aware of the others walking by. I didnt feel like covering myself again, I wanted to be visible, I wanted poeple on the sidewalks to see me clearly, I want people to understand that Asians can be gay as well. We come in different sizes, shapes and colors. We may not look alike, or talk alike, but we are from the same region. Our roots are from that contient called Asia. Whether we like it or not, its true. Some call me South Asian here, but I am an Asian guy. Thats how I look at it. There is no looking back.

The rains, the winds didnt make our life easier during the parade, but sheer will power got us thru. All along the pride route, it was very joyful to see the cheering crowd. Most of them braved the rains and cheering us from the sidelines. Thats the moment of celebrating who we are. Thats the moment to celebrate our friends, family and the community. No we are not corporate sell-outs or freaks or showoffs. We are people, we elect to participate in an event to showcase our community. We participate in the way that makes sense to us. Its our day in the limelight, under the public eyes, we elect to be behave the way we wanted, there is no holding back. Its time for euphoria, fun and festivities. Its time to educate the community that Asians can be gay. We are part of the community, no-one can deny that fact. Down with the bigotry, racism and indifference from outside and inside of the gay community. We are all united based on our sexuality and dont let anything else further divide the community. Let all the sexists, agists, racists and classists get a reality check. We dont need them, we have enough friends and community who are not that narrow minded. We will surge ahead in making progress and hormony in the community.

I remember Ajith telling me how he felt that the spectators reminded him of the past and the present, I cannot deny that observation. I felt that it was my past, present and the future. Yes indeed, its my present and the future as well. All along the parade, I saw many familiar faces. Perhaps from the dating sites, from the community chat rooms, my friends, my community work connections, out reach workers etc etc. I did give hugs to a few of them whether they squirmed of getting wet or didnt mind getting wet. Why not.. they are my family here and no one is as closer than them in reality.

After a few hours of battling the elements we arrived at Boston commons. Wet, tired, cold and hungry. We decided to end the parade by having a late lunch at Penang the Malaysian restaurant in China town. We all walked another mile to stay warm and get a chance to get dry. The pride comes to an end.

Till the next parade, these memories will get us thru.

No comments: