Friday, January 26, 2007

AIDS Walk Boston 2006

The alarm clock went off at 7am on June 4th 2006. I was literally lying the bed waiting for the alarm to go off. I got out of the bed and went to my kitchen to make a cup of coffee. While preparing coffee I glanced outside to check the weather. The weather was not so good. It was cloudy, wet, drizzling and looked very cold. The made me think how bad the turnout at this years AIDS walk is going to be. I wondered whether how many cancellations will be there due to this nasty weather. This didn't stop me from motivating myself and get ready for the walk.

By 8 I was all ready and raring to go outside. Called a close friend and that friend wouldn't go because of the weather. Another sent me an SMS saying that he was sick. I think I didn't do a good job organizing this year AIDS walk. Things didn't fall in to place. I couldn't motivate enough people to register to walk. The fundraising was not that bad.

I left home for the Hatch Shell so that I can be there at 9am as I announced in the email. After a couple of mins drive to Cambridge Central Sq subway stop, I hopped into the red line train towards Charles MGH stop. Hatch Shell is just over the bridge from that station. The train brimmed with people who were going to the walk. Actually it gave me an oppurunity to chat-up a fellow passenger who was holding the AIDS walk collection envelop. I cant count on my right hand how many times I have talked to a complete stranger in the Subway, perhaps this is one of those rare moments in life.

Meanwhile, my mind was pre-occupied with Lyle, Joey, Jay, Robert and others.. Few of them have departed this world and I am fortunate to have few of them in my life. The thoughts how far along I have come in this journey to understand this disease, to educate myself and others. Its a bitter sweet memories of the past, present and the future. I have control over the present and I have no control of the future. But I do have the optimism to make a difference in someone's life.

After reaching the Hatch Shell, I didn't see anybody waiting for me, I went straight to the registration booths and did my registration. I ran into a fellow Team Leader Jonathan. It was a pleasant surprise. We chatted for a bit and I again went back to the waiting area for our team. Before I know, Partha and Adi joined me. In no time Mrinalini joined, shortly after that Tao Kai and Danny joined us and completed the team. I knew that there wont be anymore participants from the groups and we proceeded towards the start line.

The walk started off at 10am. It drizzled a little bit, bit cold but we surged ahead. For sometime we held hands, all six of us in a solidarity and felt like a family. At that moment, the six people who held hands were so important and bigger than the life itself. We are there for a reason, to represent a community which is marginalized for so many varied reasons, yet we were there to support the community and also create the awareness. I wish there were more to walk in that group. I was grateful for all the souls who donated and also who braved the weather and took a stand. In this years walk few marvelous souls walked with me, that mattered more than anything. I am so grateful for them and proud of them.

We walked pass so many groups, I love you "Barry" signs(I recall seeing the same sign last year), Williams family and many more. Families coming together, friends walking together, community groups, health organizations, school students, educational institutions are few of the examples. All ages, races, genders were represented in the group. Babies in carriages, wheel chairs, hearing impaired talking to others in sign language, people too sick to walk navigating the crowd in wheel chairs are common sights. The walk went thru Back bay, Brookline, Cambridge, Back Bay and ended in the Hatch Shell after 3 hours or so. The relief when the walk was over. I made it, one of my new years resolution was fulfilled.

HIV and AIDS touches everyone's life. It doesn't discriminate. Women, children, Men, mothers, sisters, brothers, fathers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, doctors, engineers, lawyers, chefs, pilots, politicians.. everyone is susceptible for this disease. What vaccine do we have in hand after 25 years of AIDS in America? Prevention. If we all can seek and educate ourselves, 2-3 people who are getting infected daily in MA wont become part of another statistics. None of the conservative driven policy changes of the government is going to help fight this disease effectively. Yet as individuals we have the power to educate ourselves and others. That's what this walk is all about. Its not about who get the funds we collected, but its about changing the community, create the awareness. An opportunity to ask ourselves, do we all have the necessary information about this disease? How do we support others who are affected by this? What can we do to stop the spread of this disease?

I am determined to walk again. I dream about collecting more funds next year, motivate more people to join me in the walk, to hold hands, an opportunity to create awareness, an opportunity to fight the spread of the disease, an opportunity to extend my hands to those affected by this diseases, an opportunity to heal those suffering souls, an opportunity to say I do care, an opportunity to make a difference in the community I live. We will prevail.

Till then, We have an year's time to plan and motivate ourselves and others. Please be part of that journey, because we can make a difference if we choose to and please make that choice. Its never too late.

Thank you all of you from the bottom of my heart for your contributions and my friends Partha, Adi, Tao Kai, Danny & Mrinalini for being part of this special day by spending those lovely moments.

No comments: